Chattahoochee Valley Academy is on the campus of the Chattahoochee County Middle and High School. The new 7,645 square foot addition opened in August of 2019 and approximately 28,000 square feet of renovations were opened for the previous school year. The facility was fueled by a $3.1 million state grant. The earned state funds were maximized, so the system did not incur any additional building costs.
Chattahoochee Valley Academy is a partnership between the Chattahoochee County School System, Columbus Technical College and the Business Community. CVA is a “wall-to-wall academy,” meaning it will serve all of the school’s more than 650 students in grades 9-12, plus introductory courses for grades 6-8.
CVA’s facility comprises automotive technology classroom and lab, eight welding bays, medical training clinic, studio for audio and visual productions, model early childhood classroom to train aspiring teachers, and Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps training area and rifle range.
This historic campus building, built in 1915, served as the original college president’s home. SRJ was retained for a renovation project that would upgrade the building’s infrastructure for use by the university’s admissions center and alumni services center, while restoring the interior and exterior to their original charm.
As is the case with many such restorations, the project included comprehensive asbestos and lead-based paint abatement.
Funded through private sources, the Georgia Southwestern State University bell tower was created to symbolize the joint effort between local citizens, the community and the university’s educators. A clear focal point in the center of the campus, the bell tower serves as a constant symbol celebrating the cooperative involvement of the community and its university.